[Ubuntu] Adding saga 2.1.0 to ubuntugis

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Sep 30 23:40:35 PDT 2013

On 09/30/2013 11:36 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 09/30/2013 11:32 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to add saga 2.1.0 to ubuntugis. This would solve the
>> problem for those users who would like to run qgis 2.0 with the last
>> version of saga (which actually is a bug in gdal). See eg [1].
>>
>> The package already exists and has been tested by quite a number of
>> users on my ppa[2], and it is part of the osgeo live dvd.
>>
>> The problem is that saga relies on a new version of wxwidgets (2.9)
>> which may break building grass gis if it is just added to the ppa.
>> This can be solved by renaming the package wx-common to eg
>> wx-common-29 and making it conflict with wx-common. That way all
>> existing wx-widgets programs will still work and build fine unless a
>> build-dependency is made to wx-common-29.
>> Anyone opposed to this solution? If needed I can first upload
>> everything to testing to make sure it really works.
>>
>> Johan
>>
>> [1] http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/72957/installing-qgis-2-0-and-saga-2-1-on-ubuntu-13-04
>> [2]https://launchpad.net/~johanvdw/+archive/saga-gis
>

> Uploading to Ubuntugis-testing sounds like a good plan.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Now that I think about it how did we manage to get QGIS/GRASS etc from
ubuntugis and SAGA from your ppa if there is a conflict?

Maybe I'm not understanding this package naming resolution.

I'm also curious about wx 2.9 and why that's a requirement, according to
wx project 2.8.x is the current stable line. Don't let this hold you up,
I'm just curious for knowledge sake.

Thanks,
Alex