[Ubuntu] Stable update

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Apr 25 18:15:52 PDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 01:59 PM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> On 04/25/2016 11:45 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Alex M <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Historically we haven't done a great job of keeping stable very
>>> relevant, but people running servers in production really ought to be
>>> using it and not unstable. Maybe a clearer policy on when things should
>>> move to stable needs to be made (it is ok for some packages to be the
>>> same version as unstable).
>> With quite DebianGIS quite up-to-date, Ubuntu already has rather
>> recent versions of most packages. I think stable becomes perhaps even
>> less relevant. For non-LTS releases I think we should not use it
>> (well, never say never). For LTS releases, I think the policy of
>> copying whatever gets on OSGeo live after the release is quite a good
>> policy. It gets a lot of testing.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Johan
>
> +1 to rename testing to experimental. Actually I have started building
> everything based on gdal 2.0 there already.
> Also, +1 for a policy to copy everything from OSGeoLive after release.
>
> Best,
> Angelos

Only latest Ubuntu has recent versions of most packages.
12.04 and 14.04 actually have fairly old packages at this point but are
still in wide use and will be for another 1,3 years respectively.

UbuntuGIS stable is moot for Xenial but very important to Trusty. If
someone needs to stick to QGIS 2.8 and GDAL 1.11.x stable is where they
should be able to get that. In 6 months to a year stable will actually
become important for Xenial too since QGIS 2.14 will be the LTS and
should move to stable, with 2.16 and the upcoming 3.x series going to
unstable...

+1 to copying packages from osgeo-live, however we shouldn't let that
timetable keep us from updating unstable whenever new releases come out.

As I've said before in the past, if we can create simpler instructions
for all the easyish packages, there are more volunteers who would gladly
help keep packages flowing. I suppose we should make a list of who
generally upkeeps which packages.

Thanks,
Alex