[Ubuntu] Stable update

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 27 08:58:34 PDT 2016

On 04/26/2016 11:21 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Worth Lutz <wal3 at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Thanks,
>> My error on our versions. It's 12 & 14. I typed without thinking.
>>
>> I understand dependencies sometimes keep updates from getting to older systems. I was hoping to jump to 16.04 but will have to wait on php-mapscript.
>>
>> Thanks for your work in making these packages available.
>>
>> Worth
>>
>>> On Apr 26, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Worth,
>>>
>>> 10.04 is past end of life from Ubuntu (2015) those people need to
>>> upgrade if they want any updates from us or Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> 12.04 only has 1 year left (2017), so it's unlikely to get anything
>>> except bugfix releases if possible (not always possible).
>>>
>>> Yes, this thread is about clarifying the policies.
>
> Note that rather than policies, the major reason UbuntuGIS received
> little updates is that no-one found time to do so (eg I'm currently on
> a project where I have to use a windows desktop).
> If you or your customers rely on UbuntuGIS updates, please consider
> helping out packaging or contracting someone to do so. Debian GIS is
> in a good state now, so it is usually only a matter of backporting.
> I'm ready to help anyone who would like to contribute.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Johan

I think there are a few people willing to help (I always have been). The
roadblock generally has been not knowing the exact steps to take to make
the packaging work.

In this case I think there might be a clear path now. For things coming
from DebianGIS there should be some simple steps/commands that can be
written out and following. If it fails or the update is coming from some
other route then we file tickets and leave that to the current
professionals who have mastered the voodoo.

If someone can start up instructions I am willing to test and contribute
time to maintaining some packages.

Example, I would love to get QGIS 2.8.7 into stable.

Thanks,
Alex