[Ubuntu] Fwd: Stable update

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri Apr 29 05:36:58 PDT 2016

I've been working my way through
http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/packaging-new-software.html to learn
about packaging gdal.

Of course - there are several closed formats you can build into gdal at
compile time I'm guessing can't go up here - like sid, ecw and esri's
fbgdb (which is now covered in the OpenFileGDB driver in DAL). Which we
would probably need to know about - probably a 'what not to do' would go
hand in hand with a 'what to do' tutorial.

I want to help - this type of thing I'm a bit weak on but I'm willing to
learn to make this better. Ubuntu and ubuntugis are my main weapons of
choice - and I would like to donate back when
possible.

There was talk of a PSC at one point and that died down...interest? Is
there a place beyond the PPA's where we can start storing Docs and maybe
VMs? Git?

Randy

On 04/29/2016 08:03 AM, Marco Afonso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm with Worth Lutz. I would like to help but I have no
> knowledge/experience in packaging.
>
> Could you create a tutorial to setup a development environment for
> packaging. I supose Virtual Machines could be good for this.
>
> Thanks

> <mailto:landa.martin at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi,

>     <sebastic at xs4all.nl <mailto:sebastic at xs4all.nl>>:
>     > There are multiple LTS releases supported at any point in time,
>     ideally
>     > those are supported by UbuntuGIS too.
>     >
>     > But the manpower is lacking in UbuntuGIS to maintain the
>     packages for
>     > even one Ubuntu LTS release, let alone more than one.
>     >
>     > The manpower issue needs to be addressed before significant
>     changes in
>     > UbuntuGIS can be expected.
>
>     I agree, lacking man power was the main reason why I suggested to have
>     only two repos:
>
>     * ubuntugis-stable
>     * ubuntugis-experimental (RCs, ...)
>
>     Ma