[Ubuntu] GDAL, GEOS transitions for Xenial

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 25 14:56:09 PST 2016

On 12/25/2016 10:21 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 12/25/2016 09:48 PM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
>> Regarding otb package, I rebuilt it in my staging ppa, it seems to be
>> missing monteverdi which was merged into otb 5.8.
>
> Yes, it is now a module:
>
> "
>  Monteverdi sources have been moved inside OTB repository and
>  Monteverdi is now included as an OTB module.
> "
>
> https://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/orfeo-toolbox-5-8-is-released/
>
> But it's not built as can be seen in the build log:
>
>  -- Disabled OTBMonteverdiGUI because OTB_USE_QWT is OFF

Enabling the OTB_USE_QWT option after adding libqwt-dev to the build
dependencies and dependencies of libotb-dev, the build fails in Debian
unstable because the Qwt version is not supported:

-- Found Qwt: /usr/lib/libqwt.so (found version "6.1.2")
CMake Error at Modules/ThirdParty/Qwt/otb-module-init.cmake:4 (message):
  Only Qwt 5 is supported.  Found version 6.1.2

Changing the dependency to libqwt5-qt4-dev resolves that, but won't be
very future proof.

Qwt 5 is likely to be removed from Debian and Ubuntu in the future, it's
maintainer doesn't have time for the Qwt packages any more, so the OTB
team should really start supporting Qwt 6 which QGIS uses too so only a
single version needs to be adopted by others in Debian. I talked about
this with the Qt/KDE maintainers before, and we'll likely move the Qwt 6
package to that team after the stretch release when the next release
critical bug affects the qwt package.

In the mean time I'm updating the otb package to also build the
monteverdi binary package, but it's going to need some work to get in shape.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1