[Ubuntu] Handling transitions in UbuntuGIS

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 24 15:29:45 PDT 2016

Hi Ivan,

On 07/24/2016 11:54 PM, Ivan Mincik wrote:
> On 24/07/16 03:59, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> Triggered by the recent spatialite-gui report, I've setup an
>> experimental transition tracker for the ubuntugis-unstable PPA to check
>> the state of the other packages.
>>
>> Currently only trusty and xenial are checked, precise is not worth the
>> effort IMNSHO:
>>
>>  http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-transitions/ubuntugis-unstable/trusty/
>>  http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-transitions/ubuntugis-unstable/xenial/
>>
>> For trusty seems to need some more rebuilds, xenial is looking good for
>> the xenial packages in the PPA.
>
> Thank you very much for that effort. State of Trusty confirms that
> transition tracker is very good idea. Are you planning to maintain
> transitions wit Ben for the future ?

Perhaps, if there is sufficient demand to use the transition trackers
for UbuntuGIS too. I'd rather not be the SPOF for changes to the ben
configuration and move it to some ubuntugis team webspace, lacking that
on osgeo.org infrastructure it may be moved to the Debian GIS webspace
on Alioth. Since Alioth doesn't have ben installed the cronjob will need
to run elsewhere and publish to Alioth.

>> Unfortunately the ben tool used for the transition trackers, is not able
>> to handle the Ubuntu repositories + PPA repo setup well, it can only use
>> the Packages files from the PPA, so you don't see the other reverse
>> dependencies available in Ubuntu that haven't been rebuild with the
>> library package in the PPA.
>
> Is it very complicated to add that support to Ben ?

The biggest hurdle is learning enough OCaml. Templates for the HTML
pages are compiled into some binary format making even that process
complicated.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--