[Ubuntu] non-LTS packages

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 23 08:38:48 PDT 2017

On 04/23/2017 04:35 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
> recently I uploaded GRASS package (7.2.1RC2) to Expr PPA for zesty
> which is not LTS. Since UbuntuGIS supports only LTS Ubuntu releases I
> wonder if it's a good idea. Similarly I was planning to upload GRASS
> 7.2.1 package when it will be released also to Unstable PPA.

There isn't much value for zesty users to add the UbuntuGIS PPAs, there
is only GRASS. Because there isn't even sufficient manpower to maintain
the packages for the still supported LTS releases, adding packages for
non-LTS releases sends the wrong signal.

If you want to maintain grass packages for other Ubuntu releases, that
should be done in the GRASS PPA. Which comes with the downside of users
likely having to deal with incompatible packages between PPAs when
they're using more than one.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--