[Ubuntu] QGis 3 on UbuntuGIS PPA

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Oct 30 10:51:51 PDT 2018

On 10/30/18 09:53, Micha Silver wrote:
> I must admit I am also confused by the different repositories. I was under the
> impression (for about a year now) that ubuntugis was being phased out, and QGIS
> would be available in the regular ubuntu respositories. I guess this is wrong?
>
> So what is maintained by qgis.org and what by ubuntugis ?

QGIS has been in the Ubuntu repos for a long time, however it only get
security/minor updates once an Ubuntu release comes out. So basically
always it's always old. Example 16.04 users only get 2.8.6
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=qgis

QGIS.org always has the most current releases, built against the
dependencies in the stock Ubuntu. This works ok, except when you need
newer gdal for more current format support.
QGIS.org also has the most current releases built against current
releases of dependencies which come from Ubuntugis...

Ubuntugis has 2 major repos:
Stable - generally older versions of everything in case you need them,
want LTR super long or need support for aging releases of Ubuntu.
Unstable - mostly the latest version possible, except QGIS which is
usually an LTR release (I forget why this happened). Also has support
for older distros.

Note: OSGeoLive packaging, and Debian packaging both feed into Ubuntugis
directly helping to keep all the packages up to date.

> On 10/28/18 2:48 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> Hi Luís,
>>
>> On Sun, 28. Oct 2018 at 10:01:20 +0000, Luís Moreira de Sousa wrote:
>>> None of the UbuntuGIS PPAs contains QGis 3 yet. Is anyone working on this? Or
>>> would you rather recommend installing from the official QGis PPA? In the past
>>> mixing packages from QGis and UbuntuGIS would lead to disaster.
I do this all the time, it occasionally leads to an odd upgrade where
you have to wait until GRASS in Ubuntugis is updated, before you allow
the QGIS update to install. For some reason it's the best way to get the
LTR with up to date gdal.

>> Why?  We have ubuntugis based qgis repositories.  I stopped maintaining QGIS
>> builds in the ubuntugis PPA, when we began to support a LTR and the latest
>> release in parallel - as ubuntugis can only carry one qgis (at least with the
>> current packaging).

I agree it's absolutely confusing to know what to setup. Not sure how we
solve that other than offering the most preferred option as the first
instructions.

I think we're at the point where 2.18 can move to Ubuntugis stable and 3
can go into unstable. Although until 3.5 comes out 2.18.x still needs to
be easily installable with current dependencies.

Thanks,
Alex