[Ubuntu] QGis 3 on UbuntuGIS PPA

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Oct 30 14:10:28 PDT 2018

Hi Micha,

On Tue, 30. Oct 2018 at 18:53:07 +0200, Micha Silver wrote:
> I must admit I am also confused by the different repositories. I was under
> the impression (for about a year now) that ubuntugis was being phased out,
> and QGIS would be available in the regular ubuntu respositories. I guess
> this is wrong?

I didn't hear anything in that direction.  But ubuntu isn't as far behind as it
used to be - thanks to Bas' massive debiangis work that also ubuntu benefits
from.  So there's less stuff that needs to put into ubuntugis to update what is
behind in the stock distribution.

>    So what is maintained by qgis.org and what by ubuntugis ?

I maintain the qgis.org packages: release packages for LTR and latest release
as well as nightlies of the release branches and master.

But our repositories only contain qgis and not it's dependencies.  Those are
taken from the stock distribution.  And for the ubuntu there are also
repositories containing the smae, but built based on ubuntugis.

There are small differences in packaging compared to debian/ubuntu/ubuntugis.
Eg. our packages have python bindings for QtWebKit, that debian and ubuntu
don't have anymore.  I noticed that osgeolive's qgis doesn't, when I tried to
show QuickOSM at the osgeo park on intergeo.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode