[Ubuntu] MapServer Python MapScript and Wheels/Ubuntu Packages

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 15:29:18 PDT 2018

Thanks again for the reply. I guess the Python GDAL bindings are the closest to MapServer, the package at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ppa includes "usr\lib\python3\dist-packages\osgeo\_gdal.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so", so I guess is for Python 3.5 only? Is it possible to just support Python 3.6 (for example), and ignore other versions?

Shapely also has a couple of binaries e.g.  _speedups.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so (plus the GOES library it wraps around) but I think shapely is designed so these can be ignored if the binaries don't match the Python version.

I'll be concentrating in the next few months on cleaning up Mapscript examples, getting test suites running on Python3 etc. so may repost here once this work is complete, and there may be more of a demand for a python3-mapscript.

Ideally the aim would be to get a Python3 mapscript installation on OSGeoLive along with a Jupyter notebook of examples, so any suggestions on how best to achieve this are welcome (even if it is to continue with Python 2.7).

Regards,

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk