[Ubuntu] [EXTERNAL] Help with converting files -- grad student desperately seeking your help

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Dec 15 06:21:25 PST 2020

Court,
This appears to be a file usable with the MB-System Seafloor Mapping Software , https://www.mbari.org/products/research-software/mb-system/, which appears to be Linux/OSX only.  There is a windows version of GMT, http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/projects/gmt/wiki/Installing , which might be able to read it directly.

I did find this infromation https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_do_I_to_use_multibeam_sonar_data_from_NOAA_to_create_usable_layers_in_ArcMap ,  which indicates  " Commercial software include Caris (runs on Windows), Fledermaus (all platforms)."

Bear in mind that Microsoft Excel has a current limit of 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/excel-specifications-and-limits-1672b34d-7043-467e-8e27-269d656771c3 , which is small for point cloud data, so your file in X,Y,Z format may not fit in excel. You might be better off processing the data in X,Y,Z format in R on Windows to generate graphs, etc.

Since this is an email forum for Ubuntu and open source geospatial software, and not Windows, I would suggest that you might explore installing a virtual version of Ubuntu on your Windows computer ( virtualbox), install the Ubuntu-GIS PPA , Install the MB System software  ( apt install mbsystem) . Ubuntu 16.04.7 Xenial looks like it will support this option.

Doug