[OSGeo-UK] (Re)introducing myself

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 7 04:16:04 EDT 2009

Joanne Cook wrote:
> Hi Jo,
>
> Good to hear from you! I should write a summary of the OSGIS 2009 event, and do mean to, but have been too busy so far...
>
> You will no doubt meet James Reid who also works at Edina (cc'd)- he is keen on establishing a Scottish chapter to take into account the geographic separation, and also the fact that legislation is a little different in Scotland. I'm sure they would welcome your feedback and participation, as do we in the UK chapter!

Yes, I sit next to him, when he is here. :) And when he gets back
from holiday I'll ask more about his ideas for a Scottish local chapter.
He mentioned briefly that you'd discussed putting in a UK bid for
FOSS4G 2012 - perhaps even here in Edinburgh, if a big enough space can
be found.

There is promising movement towards FOSS here at EDINA; after years of
evaluation, the ops team are now migrating most backends to PostGIS.
This year's release of Digimap will have an OpenLayers frontend
for the first time. It's working with something called "Mapfish",
an AJAXy UI component toolkit, which I had not come across before
and it looks really good: http://trac.mapfish.org/trac/mapfish/wiki
And of course Mapserver and Geoserver have been here for a while.

be well!

jo
--
Jo Walsh

Service Manager, GeoCrossWalk
EDINA National Datacentre
tel: +44 (0)131 650 2973

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.