[OSGeo-UK] UK postcode database

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 11:40:58 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM, John A Stevenson
<john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> The UK postcode database has been posted on Wikileaks.
>
> Now, just like a TomTom(TM) or GoogleEarth(TM), you too can find the lat-lon
> of any address in the UK.
>
> http://wikileaks.org/wiki/UK_government_database_of_all_1,841,177_post_codes_together_with_precise_geographic_coordinates_and_other_information,_8_Jul_2009

 What's the difference between that and:

 "A torrent file of MS Office has been put on www.thepiratebay.org,
now you too can write documents and make spreadsheets"

 Whatever we may think of open government and open data, I think the
postcode database is still copyright material and distribution via
wikileaks or any other mechanism is surely legally dubious.

 ObDisclaimer: I am not a lawyer...

Barry