[OSGeo-UK] UK postcode database

Tom (JDi Solutions) tom.dean at jdi-solutions.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 06:01:53 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Just in case anyone is in any doubt, it is absolutely illegal to use this
data without a license.  Perhaps a better analogy is that of downloading an
album from thepiratebay because this is data that has been created by
someone and protected by copyright as a result.  If you didn't pay for the
album you're not legally allowed to download it, the same is true of the
postcode data.  Of course it's very useful but Royal Mail have got a history
of pursuing people who attempt to use this stuff illegally.  It's a real
shame, personally I'm on the side of the freeourdata campaign but until that
bears fruit I would advise people not to touch this.  Especially for use in
the public domain.

Tom