[OSGeo-UK] Building up Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data research - OSGIS 2011

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 29 13:22:19 EST 2010

Dear OSGeo-UKers..

> Workshops already confirmed:
>
> # OGC- OSGeo Interoperability Day Workshop (21 June 2011) - (Organised by
> Tyler Mitchell, Executive Director, Open Source Geospatial Foundation) #
> OpenGov: Open Data, Open Source and Open Standards Workshop (21 June 2011)

I want to give you some background to this initiative which was just finally
finalised.  A few months back I was asked by the OSGeo board to investigate the
possibility of having a few more events with partners like OGC.  This has come
out of that investigation.  Working with OGC we realised the OSGIS event would
be easy to piggy back onto and that branding it as an interoperability
exercise would help the OSGIS event as well as both OGC and OSGeo missions.

So here we are... I just got the nod last week from OGC to pursue it.  Thanks
to Suchith for setting aside a time and date for us.  All that's left is to
fill up a few workshop spots!

That's where you come in - I'm looking for folks that would like to lead a
workshop to show off the open source and interoperability aspects of their
software/solutions.  I have my eye on a few of you already, but thought I'd
get the word out sooner than later!  Any takers, please let me know and we can
discuss how well it would fit in.

All this to say, I hope the local chapter can benefit from this event.  I meant
to include you in the discussions earlier, but there was little time between a
nod from OGC and the CFP from Suchith.  Fortunately there is still a lot of
time to plan.

More thoughts are here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_OSGeo_Interoperability_Day_2011

Have a great week!