[OSGeo-UK] Resources for the less technical

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Wed Dec 21 12:30:45 EST 2011

Hi All,

It's worth splitting this discussion up into two bits- the first is
software resources- how to do stuff, and the second is data- how to get it.
Regarding data- we've actually got a fair list of free data  sources up on
the wiki at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Public_Geodata_for_the_UK and I'd
strongly urge anyone with new sources to include them on that list.

Regarding software-  what kind of things do people generally need to do, is
there documentation out there already that just needs bringing together, or
do we need to try and focus our resources (eg willing volunteers) on
writing this sort of material? Again, I would strongly urge anyone with
some ideas about the kind of thing people would need to put it on the wiki-
anyone can get a username and edit it.

Thanks

Jo

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Ravi Kumar <ravivundavalli48 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> 'but both open source GIS and Open Street Map can come across as a bit
> techy.'
> For some OpenGIS it is true, But not all..
> Qgis, OpenJUMP are easy for shifting from ESRI SW
> Ravi
>   ------------------------------

***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 750 095 8167
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform<http://www.isharemaps.com/>
See the new Helpdesk and Customer
portal<http://support.astuntechnology.com/home>
Over 35% of the 4 star council websites use iShare - SOCITM Better
Connected 2010

See our customer commendations and
awards<http://astuntechnology.com/customers/awards-and-commendations/>

864201149.