[OSGeo-UK] Re: Chapter Sponsorship and Marketing in General

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Sep 26 15:05:25 EDT 2011

> I think the the Chapter needs to consider is getting some 'levels' of sponsorship in place for different amounts similar to the osgeo.org.  Tyler would no doubt have info, marketing material etc - can you let us know Tyler?

Hi Mike (and my other British Cousins),

If you'd like to see what others are doing there are a few places to peek around at, starting with OSGeo's sponsorship opportunities.  I suggest you start here:

http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship/opportunities

Have a read through the various programmes and concepts and see what might fit you the best.  The project-specific sponsorships are pretty similar in size and scope to what you are envisioning.  Whereas the "foundation" sponsorships are larger and reflect more globally.

Note that the current FOSS4G sponsorship prospectus is in the list.  That's worth peeking at too, especially if you'd like to come up with some event focused ideas for helping raise a bit of funding.

You've already touched on the common logos idea, but if you want to move beyond that, here are some more thoughts.

1. My sense is you that you could tie your sponsorship perks into delivering some value at chapter hosted special events.  For example a plenary type talk, a special session room or access to running a workshop.  For example, our workshops at OSGIS during the OGC/OSGeo interop day that I ran could very well have been an invite only from those who were already OSGeo UK sponsors.  In fact, that is why I was testing the idea, first to see if presenters would be interested, second to see if anyone would come - success on both fronts!

2. With your unique chapter connection to so many awesome organisations and unis, you could also run a program where certain types of sponsors give input to research projects - or have projects directed toward something of particular interest to them.  Conceivably you could an event or paper series sponsored by an org, but organise it so that the costs are negligible and you can roll those funds into promotion, etc.

3. Consider having a sponsor fund the Live DVD distribution, and get their name front and centre on the DVD.  The rule is that is someone helps fund the printing, then they can get their logo on the disk cover, along with the standard OSGeo branding. Likewise you could release a mildly customised version for any particular event you run but with tighter UK branding.

4. Host a career fair, with hiring organisations buying a table.  Could even just be a separate room at an event, or a semi-social event at a pub.

5. Similar to #2 - host a "research projects brainstorm" event to bring researchers/students together with industry folks to talk about open source geo projects that could, collectively, really rock your worlds.

On the marketing material side, I've always used a distributed "cloud printing" service at hubcat.com.  Jo and I talked about it lots.  We should make sure you have access to the docs I've already uploaded there.  Then, with credit card in hand, you can fill in a form and have it locally printed/shipped direct.  (Jo - did you set up a hubcast.com account, sorry I can't remember where we left that.  I think I was going to ask them to copy all my docs over to yours.)

Anyway, probably enough from me at this point.  I'm keenly interested in making sure you guys continue to get off the ground, so holler.  I will be in Lancaster, of all places ;-), for the GISRUK event in the spring and would love to catch up with any of you.  At that time I will be wearing my http://LocatePress.com hat and carrying my private consulting umbrella :)

Those are just a few ideas from my slightly cloudy-at-the-moment head, but I'd love to hear from you.

Hope you're well,
Tyler