[OSGeo-UK] GIS in schools

stuart lester stulester at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:17:03 EST 2012

I am (very) slowly researching this topic. I have questions in with a
couple of teachers in Birmingham. I am also trying to get a feel for th IT
in use in Birmingham local education authority schools. Which should be
easier seeing as I work in the city council IT dept!!

Also I am looking at the curriculum and online resources. the RGS seem to
just point teachers to some online videos. the Geographical Association
seems to be the major body. I don't know if they interact with the AGI or
not? However they offer teachers GIS courses.
http://www.geography.org.uk/cpdevents/gacpdcourses/web-basedgis/ this
course looks at google and Quik maps, which I have not come across. I shall
try to drop the guy a line to find out if he is aware of OS Geo or not.

In terms of the curriculum at Key Stage 3. Understanding of scale is
defined purely through OS maps. Which is limited but I can't knock them as
it is where I started.

I also need to learn a bit more about Edina and how they work with LEAs.

Anyway update/brain dump over. Apologies I never get onto the IRC. I keep
forgetting. Plus often busy at work.

Stuart