[OSGeo-UK] New Local Representative for the UK Chapter

Edwards, Ian ian.edwards at metoffice.gov.uk
Fri Sep 7 06:53:01 PDT 2012

Thanks Jo, Suchith,

The next year is full of exciting opportunities for the UK chapter - in
addition to FOSS4G, we'll need to be ready for an increase in interest
prior to the conference as well as a swelling of our membership
following the event.

The next AGM will be very forward looking, with smaller events arranged
throughout 2014 including code sprints, working groups, GISRUK & OSGIS,
and a restructured committee to spread the administration and offer
people the opportunity to take on the positions of chair, treasurer,
media secretary etc.

At each step of the planning I'll share thoughts and progress with the
list, but for now I would just like to express my thanks for an
excellent OSGIS 2012 conference on behalf of myself and my colleagues
who attended from the Met Office.

Ian Edwards - Brief Bio

Ian's GIS career has spanned academia, business and government. He has
held research positions at the universities of Cambridge and Exeter,
been a director of a GIS company and more recently has begun working for
the UK government in his current post as a senior software engineer at
the Met Office. He has been fortunate to work on diverse range of
environmental and conservation GIS projects including work on the
connectivity of marine ecosystems in Antarctica and the Caribbean and
supporting environmentally-focused GIS projects across the world.

In addition to his current roles at the Met Office and for OSGeo UK, Ian
continues to be an honorary fellow and visitor lecturer at the
University of Exeter, a regular guest lecturer at the University of
Cambridge and a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.

Ian Edwards
Chair, OSGeo UK

Senior Software Engineer (GIS)
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884078
Email: ian.edwards at metoffice.gov.uk
<mailto:ian.edwards at metoffice.gov.uk>   Website: www.metoffice.gov.uk
<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk>

See our guide to climate change at
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-change/guide/
<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-change/guide/>
Our magazine Barometer is now available online at
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/
<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/>