[OSGeo-UK] MapAction requirements for QGIS plugins

Antony Scott Antony.Scott at sustain.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 11:32:49 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Just in time for the QGIS Hackfest in Brighton, FOSS4G in Nottingham, not to mention all the other excitement in Maptember, MapAction has put together some requirements for QGIS plugin(s) which come from its  RAMP project (Resilient Action for Mapping Preparedness), whose aim is to help build capacity in information management and GIS amongst agencies dealing with humanitarian disaster response.

The requirements which have been developed (and are still being added to), plus a prototype QGIS plugin which implements some of them, have now been published as a GitHub  repository (RAMP-QGIS) at https://github.com/mapaction/RAMP-QGIS.  The aim is to extend QGIS to support users in file and data management, and in metadata harvesting and exploitation, building on work done at an AGI/MapAction hackathon earlier in the year, and on internal MapAction development work.

We are hoping that developers and others will want to get involved either by contributing directly, or by helping us develop and manage the process - this model of development is new to MapAction, so any support we can get in making it productive both for us and others who might find the outputs useful will be really welcome.

We'll be posting elsewhere (e.g. the QGIS lists) to publicise the repository, but please pass this on to anyone who you think might be interested, and post any questions or comments either here or on the GitHub site.

Thanks

Ant Scott
MapAction
http://www.mapaction.org/

Sustain Ltd is one of the UK's leading sustainability companies, delivering tangible results to organisations via carbon, energy, water and waste efficiencies. Our clients have saved 5,660,991 lifetime tCO2e through working with us (May 2013)

Sustain Ltd.  Registered in England No. 3384793

Royal London Buildings, 42-46 Baldwin Street, Bristol, BS1 1PN, UK

This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential

and intended solely for the addressee.  If you are not the

intended recipient of this document then you must

immediately inform the sender and delete this e-mail and

any attachments from your system.

E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or

error free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,

lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete.  The sender

does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in

the content of this message which arise as a result of

e-mail transmission.