[OSGeo-UK] Chance for better open source representation at the AGI

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Thu Nov 6 05:03:34 PST 2014

Dear All,

Here in the UK we have been working towards improving the representation of
open source GIS at the Association for Geographic Information (AGI) for a
number of years, and we've done pretty well so far. Last year at FOSS4G in
Nottingham they were instrumental in helping us to organise the event and
we followed on from their GeoComm conference, where there was a lot of
interaction between the two communities. The AGI have also helped the OSGeo
UK local chapter, providing a bank account for us amongst other things. We
now have an opportunity to increase our representation even further, by
getting a known open source advocate onto the AGI Council.

Mike Saunt has been an enthusiastic proponent of open source for many
years, and Astun Technology's products are built on the open source gis
technology stack. Astun have also sponsored OSGeo and the UK chapter over
the years. Full disclosure, he is my boss, but I would be doing this anyway
as I think it's a great opportunity for us to increase the profile of open
source within the wider UK GIS community, and build on the work that has
already been done in this area.

So, calling all UK people on these lists- if you are a member of the AGI
and eligible to vote, then please consider voting for Mike here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AGICouncilElection2015

Thanks!

Jo
--
*Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18

864201149.