[OSGeo-UK] First monthly contributing member

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:09:49 PST 2017

Did you know that you can set up a monthly donation to OSGeo:UK via the PayPal Donate link at the bottom of the home page at http://uk.osgeo.org <http://uk.osgeo.org/>?

Massive thanks and respect to Sam Franklin who is our first ‘supporting member’ (we now have to work out what benefits and/or responsibilities a supporting member has). Sam told us

"I had a New Year's Resolution to review my charity/good causes. I've been feeling pretty guilty that my company isn't making donations OSGeo due to cost reduction measures in place, so wanted to personally do something. If 100 people donate £5/month. That's £500/month revenue. That's not a bad pot to do stuff with ... "

"What will we do with the money?" you may reasonably ask. Well we have very small admin expenses and intend to keep things that way as long as we can find a volunteer to file our accounts (me for  the moment) so most of our surplus from FOSS4GUK and donations from individuals or companies will be used to fund community activity (Jo Cook is going to post something on future ideas soon).
In December we sponsored the QGIS code sprint in Lyon and we also became a silver sponsor of the QGIS organisation.
In February we are sponsoring the Rasters Revealed event https://rastersrevealed.net <https://rastersrevealed.net/> on 21/2.

We can do more of this if people want to chip in some regular donations and we are definitely more effective working together than individually.

So maybe you want to donate a little bit to OSGeo:UK?
______
Steven