[OSGeo-UK] How to spend some money

Matthew Shaw shawmat.sl6 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:24:55 PST 2017

Hi all

Of course I had an ulterior motive...and sorry in advance for hijacking the
email for a polemic...

My pitch at Raster Revealed was for a tile-serving platform (opentiles.org)
that can deliver 1Tb of tiles for less than £70. And not be beholden to the
near-standards landing from the open-source world.

Those working with rasters as professionals may not see "cost" as a
constraint. Their institute pays. But cost-of-delivery is a key issue for
maps.  Particularly if you don't try to second-guess how people will use
them.  Maps create this problem because unstructured image data is
inherently Big.  With 2Tb of raw material in my collection, it's not clear
how it could be published otherwise.

What I observe as a hobbyist is that great open-source work done 2006-2010
is now being progressively commerialised behind standards.  People who were
pioneers at that time now have to make a living, and we see this in
so-called start-ups that can somehow manage to employ 60, 120 people
setting the standards. For example, the ".mbtiles" database is touted as a
standard for tiles serving - but has significant design flaws.

The next phase (IMHO) in open-source is this: Open "implementations" of
open-source software.

OpenTiles.org is a maps project.  It does not aspire to replace open source
software - but it does challenge the n-year-old tools that are out there
now. The project will contribute improvements to O/S software where they
are shown to deliver value.

I'm a 58-year-old guy from the UK. I've had an interesting career in
business and IT, and can bring something to the party. Some practical help
would be welcome; more carto input;  help with engaging with the community.

Thanks for reading

*Matthew Shaw*
opentiles.org
@OpenTilesOrg