[OSGeo-UK] How to spend some money

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Wed Mar 1 08:08:08 PST 2017

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the additional information about the project- I very much
enjoyed reading through the slides. I think that OSGeo mentoring as a
community project (see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Projects)
would be a really good fit for you and would give you access to some OSGeo
infrastructure (though I don't know exactly what they can offer). There are
contact details in the link so I'd give them a shout. Also we (OSGeo:UK
collectively) would be more than happy to help with anything that we can-
you'll probably get a good response here if you ask specific questions- I
know for example that there are some javascript ninjas lurking!

>From a financial assistance perspective  (I know you haven't asked about
that specifically, but it's how the thread started) once you're a bit more
established, if you can think of a specific element that you would like
funding then I would recommend applying. There's no guarantee of funding
being available of course. We will shortly be publishing some guidelines on
asking for funding on the website.

All the best

Jo

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Matthew Shaw <shawmat.sl6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> be beholden to the near-standards landing from the open-source world.
>>
>> Those working with rasters as professionals may not see "cost" as a
>> constraint. Their institute pays. But cost-of-delivery is a key issue for
>> maps.  Particularly if you don't try to second-guess how people will use
>> them.  Maps create this problem because unstructured image data is
>> inherently Big.  With 2Tb of raw material in my collection, it's not clear
>> how it could be published otherwise.
>>
>> What I observe as a hobbyist is that great open-source work done
>> 2006-2010 is now being progressively commerialised behind standards.
>> People who were pioneers at that time now have to make a living, and we see
>> this in so-called start-ups that can somehow manage to employ 60, 120
>> people setting the standards. For example, the ".mbtiles" database is
>> touted as a standard for tiles serving - but has significant design flaws.
>>
>> The next phase (IMHO) in open-source is this: Open "implementations" of
>> open-source software.
>>
>> OpenTiles.org is a maps project.  It does not aspire to replace open
>> source software - but it does challenge the n-year-old tools that are out
>> there now. The project will contribute improvements to O/S software where
>> they are shown to deliver value.
>>
>> I'm a 58-year-old guy from the UK. I've had an interesting career in
>> business and IT, and can bring something to the party. Some practical help
>> would be welcome; more carto input;  help with engaging with the community.
>>
>> Thanks for reading
>>
>> *Matthew Shaw*
>> opentiles.org
>> @OpenTilesOrg
>>

>> On 24 February 2017 at 17:26, Jo Cook <jocook at astuntechnology.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It was a good suggestion from Matthew to wait until Rasters Revealed to
>>> see if there were any projects that could do with some funding, but I've
>>> not heard of anything. So this is the last call for funding ideas,
>>> otherwise we'll pursue the QGIS/Geoserver integration option.
>>>
>>> All the best
>>>
>>> Jo

>>> --
>>> *Jo Cook*
>>> t:+44 7930 524 155 <+44%207930%20524155>/twitter:@archaeogeek
>>>

>>> --
>>> Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey,
>>> KT18 7RL, UK
>>> t:+44 1372 744 009 <+44%201372%20744009> w: astuntechnology.com twitter:
>>> @astuntech <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>>>
>>> iShare - enterprise geographic intelligence platform
>>> <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
>>> GeoServer, PostGIS and QGIS training
>>> <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>>> Helpdesk and customer portal
>>> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>>>
>>> Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales.
>>> Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no.

*Jo Cook*
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech