[OSGeo-UK] Should we sponsor adding support to GDAL for FileGDB?

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at astuntechnology.com
Wed Jan 20 02:37:06 PST 2021

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Lots of studies done over the years but often the software maintenance cost
is many multiples of the original "development" cost - therefore this
methodology could provide a great, sustainable mechanism for Even moving
forward and GDAL as a whole.

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 09:29, Tom Chadwin <tom at chadw.in> wrote:

> Morning all
>
> I didn't get any response to my specific enquiry about sponsoring the GDB
> raster idea. There has since been a new development, with much discussion
> online on the importance of sponsoring GDAL as a whole. In parallel with
> this, Even Rouault, the core GDAL developer, has now set up a sponsorship
> mechanism.
>
> We're keen to contribute to GDAL development and are thinking about
> sponsoring Even directly via GitHub. After discussion among the committee,
> we propose to do this if we don't get any negative responses within the
> next couple of days. Please therefore drop us a reply on- or off-list if
> you have any thoughts.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 5:03 PM Tom Chadwin <tom at chadw.in> wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> OSGeo:UK seeks to use the money you have kindly given for conference
>> tickets and in donations as effectively as possible. A significant use of
>> the money is sponsorship of open-source geo software.
>>
>> The committee started to look for sponsorship opportunities, and the
>> possibility of adding support to GDAL for GDB rasters was raised:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/nyalldawson/status/1324578155026239489
>>
>> GDAL is the open-source spatial file format library which drives many of
>> the spatial software packages (open-source and proprietary) that we use
>> every day. GDB is an Esri file format.
>>
>> The committee are considering pledging £500 towards this work. However,
>> we want to find out whether this would be popular with you all. How much
>> are GDB rasters used? Would this really help the UK FOSS4G community?
>>
>> Please let us know what you think.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, 120
Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w:
astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic