[OSGeo-UK] Fwd: Welsh Government is now using a Welsh-language baselayer largely based on OSM

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 02:23:48 PDT 2022

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[Talk-GB] Welsh Government is now using a Welsh-language
baselayer largely based on OSM
Date: 	Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:17:14 +0100
From: 	Ben Proctor <ben at benproctor.co.uk>
To: 	talk-gb at openstreetmap.org <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>

Hi all

I thought this might interest some of you. The Welsh Government's new
mapping platform Data Map Wales (used for publishing and sharing public
geo data) now has an optional base layer entirely in Welsh. This is
largely based on OSM data (with some additional names from Wikidata.

Data Orchard CIC supplies the data to the platform though our Mapio
Cymru project. Welsh Government creates its own tiles. We originally
looked at serving tiles from https://openstreetmap.cymru but, of course,
Welsh Government use a different projection so this caused some distortion.

They take data via Mapio Cymru rather than from OSM directly because we
apply some additional rules and bring in names from Wikidata where
appropriate. This also means that as we improve Welsh name
identification they'll get the benefit of that.

  We'll be publishing a blog post about it today at https://mapio.cymru
and there's an online article about it at
https://nation.cymru/news/users-of-digital-mapping-platform-can-now-visualise-wales-entirely-in-cymraeg/

Any questions, suggestions or comments welcomed.