[OSGeo-UK] Meeting to discuss FOSS4G:UK 2024

Antony Scott antony.scott at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 03:25:20 PST 2024

Hi all,

Here are some notes from our OSGeo UK call on FOSS4G yesterday.

Headline - we'd like to organise a single venue, in person, two day FOSS4G
event this year (it's already 5 years since the last one). We'll need a
suitable venue and some people to step up to organise - more to follow...

 OSGeo UK Call, 27th Feb 2024: FOSS4G UK 2024

Present: Tom Chadmin, Dave Barter, John Stevenson, Illya Santos, Steven
Feldman, Nick Bearman, Al Graham, Piet Gerrits, Paul Wittle, Barry
Rowlingson, Guy Solomon, Rachel Talbot, Ant Scott

*1. FOSS4G UK 2024: Possible venues and format*
Options were discussed for a 2024 event, including a repeat of the 'local'
format of 2023 and 2022, and a single venue event. It was agreed that
bearing in mind the last single venue event was in Edinburgh in 2019, it
would be great to be able to organise one this year, and possible return to
the 'local' format next year. This would be dependent on a suitable venue
being found, and a group being willing to organise. If this wasn't
possible, we would leave individuals to organise one off events, which we
would support, but there would be no coordinated national event.

Other points:
- Robust streaming is important, and should be easier at a larger venue
with good facilities
- We would need to accomodate 150 - 300 people, with the ability to run two
or three tracks
- Organising team would not necessarily need to be based in the host
location, though one or two locals would be needed
- Date should be later than Oct onwards, and avoid clashes with other key
events
- This does not preclude local events, but should not be at same time
- Co-chairs possible
- Event should be two days

*Action: Ant to draft call for volunteers/venue suggestions, to be
circulated to list, put on website, broadcast etc - aim to get this out by
Friday 1st.*

*2. Email newsletter*
Awaiting set up on Sender - Steven volunteered to do this, will liaise with
Al. Email address needed - Nick will sort. Ant to get contact details from
Eventbrite for previous FOSS4G.
Dave recommends OSM weekly and Django as patterns. Need a means for people
so suggest/include content stuff easily.

*3. Code sprint*Will be on Tuesday 30th of July in Portland, Dorset.
Promotion to come soon.