[OSGeo-UK] Fwd: QGIS release name from UK user group

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 07:19:54 PST 2024

Hi All,

Thank you for all of your input into the discussion. I certainly learnt
some new things and I hope you found the discussion
interesting/useful/something to distract you from whatever boring task
you may have been doing at the time.

Taking into account the discussion, as OSGeo:UK Chair I have decided to
use the location of "Maidenhead".

I have passed this on to Anita and you should see QGIS Maidenhead on
your desktop soon. Simon has happily taken on the task of finding a nice
historical map.

As Anita said, they are working through the user groups chronologically
(https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/usergroups.html), so QGIS UK
(Scotland) will be in after six more user groups, and QGIS UK
(Wales/Cymru) will be two more after that. Get your thinking caps on!

And some very non physical, bragging-rites only OSGeo:UK prizes from
suggestions that amused me / I found interesting:

Obscurest link to GIS: James Scott-Brown: (another interesting
historical geospatial link to Maidenhead is the Maidenhead Locator
System [1], though its usage is mostly limited to the amateur radio
community)

Obscurest word definition: Barry Rowlingson ("Maidenhead" is also a term
for part of female anatomy, related to virginity. It might possibly be
triggering, but I don't know how well-known or archaic the usage is.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/maidenhead
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/maidenhead.)

Best marketing ploy: Paul Whittle (Also, if we are wanting to put in a
bid for hosting another FOSS4G in the future; would it be worth picking
a potential venue and then submitting that location as our recommendation?)

Best lateral thinking: Sam Franklin (Just an idea, I see the convention
is a town or city name, but is there anything stopping us going for a
street name? If so, how about "Broad Street
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snow-cholera-map-1.jpg>" ?
Personally, I'd love to see that map on the QGIS splash screen one day! :-))

Thanks everyone!

Best wishes,
Nick.

On 15/01/2024 11:02, Nick Bearman via UK wrote:

> [...]
>
> The QGIS UK user group has been asked to suggest name for the next
> QGIS release. Usually they are named after the locations of user
> meetings, but since they have had more releases than user meetings,
> they are working through the user groups in turn to ask for
> suggestions (see Anita's email below for details).
>
> Si Miles has suggested "Maidenhead":
>
>     Windsor and Maidenhead Borough Council was one of the first UK
>     local authorities to move to QGIS (at version 1.8!) back in
>     2010/11. It was while working at Windsor and Maidenhead that with
>     the support of Simon Miles & Matt Travis the UK QGIS user group
>     was born. Maidenhead even hosted the first ever UK user group
>     meeting. Windsor and Maidenhead also contributed financial to many
>     an QGIS plugin and was also a bronze sponsor for a long as I was
>     there. Finally, Maidenhead hosted many of the Carry On movies, and
>     has the oldest or is one of the oldest football clubs in the UK,
>     if not world! Might have to fact check that one though!
>
>     Windsor and Maidenhead is the name of the council ("Royal Borough
>     of Windsor and Maidenhead") but Maidenhead is their HQ, and Anita
>     says a single name is better than a double name.
>
> Maidenhead is certainly not a tourist hot spot for the UK (sorry Si!)
> but I think it has a nice QGIS history and sounds like a good choice
> to me.
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments?
>
> Anita needs to know by Fri 19th, so I will make a decision and let her
> know on Thurs 18th Jan.
>
> Best wishes,
> Nick.
>
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 at 6:41 pm, Anita Graser <anita at qgis.org> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     As you certainly know, QGIS releases usually get their names from
>     locations of QGIS developer meetings.
>
>     Since we have more releases than developer meetings, we have
>     decided to reach out to our country user groups to select
>     additional release names. The country order is determined by the
>     founding date of the respective user groups.
>
>     Since QGIS UK is next on our list, I'm reaching out to you to ask
>     you for suggestions for release names. The suggestions should be
>     place names in the UK (and ideally be related to the user group).
>
>     Besides the name, we will also need a historical map of the
>     location which we can use for the release splash screen.
>
>     I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Please don't hesitate if
>     you have any questions.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Anita Graser
>     QGIS PSC Vice chair
>

> --
> Nick Bearman
> +44 (0) 7717745715
> nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
>
> Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.

Nick Bearman
+44 (0) 7717745715
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk