[UN] Introducing MapX, a spatial data infrastructure for the management of natural resources

Pierre Lacroix pierre.lacroix at unepgrid.ch
Tue Jun 30 02:27:19 PDT 2020

Dear all,

Following my previous email I would like to introduce MapX, an online, open source geospatial platform for environmental data. MapX is now the geospatial component of the World Environment Situation Room, which is the UNEP data and knowledge platform. MapX has been piloted in numerous countries, in the fields of extractives, biodiversity, disaster risk reduction, environmental security, mercury reduction, chemicals management etc.

MapX supports OGC standards such as WMS-WFS/WCS and ISO metadata. MapX uses Docker on the backend, with Traefik as proxy/load balancer and Portainer as management solution. Data are stored in PostgreSQL/PostGIS. MapX uses R-Shiny and JavaScript, plus Mapbox GL JS and custom server-side programs written in R. Turf JS is used client side for vector tile analysis and Redis is used on the server side for caching vector tiles. Javascript, HTML, CSS Editor and Highcharts are used in the front-end.An API (software development kit) has been developed with Node JS for piloting the tools and data from external applications.

We would like to conduct new developments (such as improvement of user experience, cartographic module, etc.) but we are a bit limited in terms of internal resources. Thus we are keen to welcome developers who would like to contribute to our project.

With my best regards.

Useful links:

MapX website: https://www.mapx.org/

MapX online application: https://app.mapx.org/

UNEP World Environment Situation Room: https://wesr.unep.org/

MapX code repository: https://github.com/fxi/map-x-mgl

MapX Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4mnadyjQ78xF8ceGka1LEA

Scientific paper on MapX: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352711018300177
Contact : pierre.lacroix at unepgrid.ch
---------
Pierre Lacroix, PhD.
Head of Unit - GRID-Geneva

Senior Lecturer – University of Geneva

Manager of MapX – https://www.mapx.org
UNEP/Science Division/GRID-Geneva
International Environment House
11 chemin des Anemones, CH 1219 Chatelaine

http://www.unepgrid.ch

University of Geneva
Institute for Environmental Sciences/enviroSPACE
66 Boulevard Carl-Vogt, CH 1205 Geneva
http://www.unige.ch/envirospace