[US] Guaging interest in AAG Annual Meeting

Guido Stein guido at guidostein.com
Thu Oct 4 05:41:42 PDT 2018

Please excuse the cross posting, but I think this is relevant to this group
in particular as well as to the main discussion list. Please feel free to

=======
<TL;DR>

I would like to gauge interest in collaborating with the AAG for their
Annual Meeting. If you are interested in this idea and/or are already
participating with the AAG can you please respond to this thread.

</TL;DR>

Hey folks,

I was contacted by Oscar, one of the organizers of the AAG Annual Meeting,
asking if the OSGeo community was interested in participating in the AAG
Annual Meeting in 2019. The meeting is going to happen in Washington D.C.
in early April. The call for papers is open right now and ends at the end
of the month.

http://annualmeeting.aag.org/call_for_submissions

I reached out to Oscar about our two communities (which there is a lot of
overlap) working together on projects when I was chairing the FOSS4G Boston
2017 event. He was willing to work with me to help promote our conference
and to discuss further relations as time went on. I was very happy to hear
that we were on his mind as he was working on the current AAG Annual
Meeting.

I don't know who within our community is currently a part of the AAG and
would like some help in figuring out if there is a chance we can
collaborate on an OSGeo/Open Source thread within their event. This could
be anything from proposing talks, workshops, or panel discussions to
putting a booth together.

The reason I am sending this out to the discussion list is because I
realize that this is something that could be of interest across multiple
parts of our community (e.g. marketing, geoforall, etc.) and I want to
involve as many people as I can. Also, I don't know everything that is
going on across our awesome community and would be thrilled to support an
existing effort if one already exists.

If you are interested in this or have information to share around this,
please reply to this thread and let me and the community know what you
think.

Thank you for your consideration,

Guido Stein
President OSGeo US