[US] Request for Funding for QGIS Meeting on October 25th 2019

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Sep 25 14:39:16 PDT 2019

For the last 2 years I've held small FOSS4G centered meetings in
Knoxville. This year I've went for slightly bigger by making it QGIS
Centric and moving it to Chattanooga.

Details: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/20191000-QGIS-US

The First year I charged 0 (donation driven) and last year I think I
charged 20 Dollars which allowed the meetings to move from the red to
the black and into break even (2017 was -400 and 2018 was +400). I
expected this years meeting to draw from the region but I'm getting a
"national" audience (which I think points to this as a needed meeting).
I'm also running a scholarship program for those that can't afford the
$25 and trying to help people with travel costs. I've been asked for
international travel assistance and couldn't do that. I am charging 25
dollars and have raised money through sponsors and other means. I'd like
to request - if possible - sponsorship through OSGEO.us . If possible
$1000 dollars to help with pulling this together. Last year OSGEO.us
sponsored $500 and helped this go into the black.

We have 9 speakers ranging from Australia (video conference), NY, NC,
CA, VA, FL, and TN (I almost forgot Canada). I've had interest from a
half dozen people in different states who want to attend. A few people
I'm attempting to help with travel. Lunch is provided through the
Community College using their caterer. We're having a social the night
before. It's grown a bit more than I thought (and that's a good thing).

If OSGEO.us could that would be excellent.

If anyone wants to attend - please sign up. If you can't swing the $25
email me with the secret code "I'm awesome and will add something to the
conference by being there" and you will qualify for free entrance. It's
going to be fun. I encourage everyone to show up and hang out in
Chattanooga.

Randy

--
Randal Hale