[vector-tiles] Native MVT output support in PostGIS

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:33:41 PDT 2016

Hi list,

I'm working on implementing native MVT output support in PostGIS in the
form of an aggregate function called ST_AsMVT.

My motivation, besides itch scratching, is that existing toolchains:

1. assumes mercator. I'm finding use for vector tiles in other projections.
2. could be more efficient by doing work closer to the data source which is
important if doing large amounts of precaching.

I still have ways to go but I've got experimental Geobuf output working
which has some shared properties. My continuing effort lives at
https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/postgis/postgis/pulls/5 and constructive
discussions are ongoing on the PostGIS list.

/Björn