[OSGeo Vietnam] About OSGeo-Vietnam and GIS-IDEAS 2010

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Apr 2 00:53:26 EDT 2010

Hi Son,

Bui Hong Son wrote:
> I have just send  our request to form the chapter to the OSGEO Board so we must
> wait for the reply from big boss. :))

The board meeting scheduled for 1st April has been postponed to
8th April so we will have to wait a little for the reply.

> I recognise that to reach our objectives, we have to do a lot of things so
> please open your ideas and try together to make thing easier .

In the meanwhile, I open my first idea as below.

GIS-IDEAS 2010 will be held in Hanoi from 11-13 Nov
2010. The draft page (not yet public) for GIS-IDEAS 2010
is available at http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/gisideas10/

While there has been participation by OSGeo-Vietnam fans
in the past GIS-IDEAS conference, there has not yet
been any official tie-up with OSGeo-Vietnam Kical Chapter
at more official level in organizing the GIS-IDEAS event.

As you may see from the past and 2010 events, the topics
covered in GIS-IDEAS conferences are closely related and
relevant to OSGeo.

We (the organzers of GIS-IDEAS) would like to seek more
official involvement from OSGeo-Vietnam in the 2010 and future
GIS-IDEAS events. In this connection we would like to
specifically seek OSGeo-Vietnam to be co-organizers
of the 2010 event. There is not financial commitment involved
for OSGeo-Vietnam to become co-organizer, but any kind of support from
VAST would be most welcome. Maybe we could have a special OSGeo
Session as in the case of previous GIS-IDEAS conferences.
The tentative first circular of GIS-IDEAS 2010 is available at
http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/gisideas10/first_circular.pdf
and I have taken the liberty of adding Mr. Bui Hong SON as one of
the members of the steering committee. I think it is appropriate
that Mr. Son represents OSGeo-Vietnam.

Hope OSGeo-Vietnam will consider the above request favorably.
You can get additional details about GIS-IDEAS from Dr. Duan.
If you need any other information from our side or official
letter from the organizers to get things going, please let me
know.

Mr. Son, we would also like to add someone from CIREN-Hanoi to
be represented in the steering committee and also invite
CIREN-Hanoi's involvement as co-organizers for GIS-IDEAS 2010.
Please let us know about this possibility too.

Best regards

Venka