[OSGeo-Board] Our logo design

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Tue Dec 12 13:08:53 EST 2006

On Tue, December 12, 2006 04:24, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> I haven't seen any board or viscom mail about it, but I'm sure by now
> everyone has seen the blogs about the similarities between our logo and
> Google's Panoramio (see, for example,
> http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/2006/12/10/osgeos-logo-based-on-panoram
> ios/).
>
> There are other logos that are also similar; someone (me?) noticed
> GeoCommunity's a few months back (http://www.geocomm.com/).
>
> We know our logo was developed from scratch (by Aaron), and we've no
> reason to actually believe Panoramio copied ours.  The similarity is
> unfortunate, but nothing to do about it at this point; I'm personally
> going to ignore the issue.
>
> -mpg

Hey,
they are inclined to the right we to the left (no semantic interpretation
please) they are blue we are green, they are simple we are 3D, etc. No
requirement to worry or take action I'd say. ...if I had a chance to think
about our logo again I would ponder using a four spoke wheel some more. We
will have overlaps with other logi every so often, it is just a very
common thing. This makes the "OSGeo" textual part more important and when
you see the wheel and OSGeo together they are unique.

Regards,

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.ccgis.de