[VisCom] OSGeo Flyer for Where 2.0 - review by Friday noon PST

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Fri May 19 10:58:02 EDT 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 15:08, Peter Moran wrote:
>  - I like the second page, with the logo on the upper left.
>
>  - I think logo should be bigger - to fill the space and be bigger
> relative to the headline text.
>
>  - The last line of text seems a bit over the top to me.
>
>  - The black is growing on me as dramatic.
>
> The compass could be dimmed down and used as a watermark on Tyler's
> Flyers, as a unifying element.

Peter, I agree with all your points here.
Is it too late to change some wording? I think the wording of the text could
be a bit tighter.

-Add "The" to the begining, so it matches tagline in logo and makes an easier
to read sentence.  If they can keep the name all on one line still, that
would be good.
-Drop the ", or OSGeo --" - It interrupts the flow a bit too much and I think
with the logo, we have defined it already.
-I'm not sure about "open geospatial technologies", let's not get lost in the
world of "open" and explictly say "open source" or, since we repeat it later,
drop "open" altogether in this spot.
-Can we add in "promote" somewhere too?  Maybe replace one of the "supporter"s
with promoter to make it less redundant and to touch on one of our key roles.

-With my suggestions, the first couple sentences could read:
"The Open Source Geospatial Foundation is a not-for-profit organization
dedicated to the collaborative development of technologies and data.  As the
leading promoter of such technologies, we provide financial, organizational
and legal support to the open source geospatial community. ..."

I have no bright ideas for the final sentence - it's close but could be
better.

I just started to wonder if I'm going to be able to get this ad, the graphics
and fonts in a format that I could work with.  I won't be able to use Adobe
design formats.  Perhaps we could also get this in a vector format, like SVG,
Postscript or even in a Word format??

Tyler