[VisCom] Update on brochures

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Jun 6 17:14:38 EDT 2006

One of the downfalls of the balkanized open source geospatial community is that it has been seen as just a set of tools.  In order to "sell" OSGeo to potential users, they will need to see solutions.  The most effective case studies for this task would be cross-project rather than project-specific, and the community biographies I had in mind would be of users who are successfully using or contributing to (and getting value from) multiple projects as well.

As to site layout, I really doubt (but could be wrong) that all of the existing strong communities will want to modify their existing sites to conform to an arbitrary OSGeo layout.  I certainly don't want to duplicate content from the project sites or limit their autonomy, but I think that we need to sell the OSGeo solution up front and in a consistant manner before the users navigate to the (often dense and technically-oriented) project pages for more detailed information.  Of course, different users have different needs; developers would likely just be presented with a list of links to various projects and resources.

By focusing VisCom/WebCom efforts on up-front marketing efforts, projects that don't want to spend a lot of effort on these items can concentrate on doing what they do best:  building great software and supporting their communities.

Jason