[VisCom] Forwarded message from Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Mar 16 15:04:38 EST 2006

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Daniel Brookshier wrote:
>

>> On Mar 14, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Chris Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> Do we have a promotion and visibility committee list yet?  I
>>> couldn't find one on the site.  Should I just forward this to the
>>> discuss list to see if there's anyone else who may be attending and
>>> interested in giving a workshop with me?  I'm going to submit a
>>> proposal on geoserver and perhaps geonetwork and udig, would be
>>> happy if someone were to present mapserver or any other user  focused
>>> foundation project really...
>

> Hey Chris,
> I am giving an intrductory workshop on GeoServer WFS-T at the FOSSGIS
> Conference:
> http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/index.php/Workshops_06#Mittwoch.2C_29._M.C3.A4rz.2C_11_Uhr_bis_13_Uhr
>

> Preliminary content:
> http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/index.php/Einf%C3%BChrung_GeoServer_und_WFS-T
>
> We will show the Online service FIONA which went Online last week. It
> provides access to 80T farmers to get their EU subsidy grants by online
> digitizing their farmland (using GeoServer WFS-T and
> PostgreSQL/PostGIS). I'll translate the description asap.
> http://www.mapbender.org/index.php/FIONA_ist_Online
>
> If you have any material that we could use for the workshop we would
> appreciate if you cuold let us have it as soon as possible. We will
> translate it to German and give it back for the intl site / doc pool or
> similar.
I actually haven't ever done a GeoServer specific presentation, as I
seem to end up talking more generically about open source and geo.  But
at OSGEO conference last year Dave Blasby gave a presentation, perhaps
more in depth and technical than you want, it was more of a workshop,
but you may be able to get some decent slides:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/OSGIS+2005+presentation

I'm working on some good slides explaining open source in general, some
nice diagrams and all, I'll send to you guys when I'm done.

best regards,

Chris