[Web Comm] Membership confirmation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 4 22:29:06 EDT 2006

Fred warnock wrote:
> I volunteered to be part of this committee because I was interested in
> working out the structure, navigation and design, and getting things
> going in participation with the rest of the committee.  I designed and
> built the original temporary "MapServer Foundation" site, and wanted to
> continue in that but I very quickly realized that this role was not
> available because either the software system or our communication
> presented too great a barrier for me.
>
> As a side note, I was confused from day one.  For some reason I could
> never get the big picture on what was going on, or what the web comm's
> role was supposed to be.  I also couldn't get the details, and always
> felt that I was only being exposed to half the communication.  Things
> just looked like they were all happening at the same time, on their own.

Fred,

There seems to have been some negative mojo around the first incarnation
of the web committee and I am eager to see that reversed in our "take two".

For the time being we are still working within some constraints based
on what the CollabNet software allows.  But I am keen to develop improved
navigation, content and look-and-feel for the main OSGeo web site.  I'm
also hoping that WebCom can provide a bit of guidance to the software
projects to give an OSGeo flavoring to thier web pages.  Perhaps CSS
pages, color schemes or something like that.

I hope you will feel comfortable to bring suggestions or frustrations
with how the committee works to Jason or I.  I personally have great
respect for your skills and I know that you could do a lot for us.