About project categories

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jul 24 15:25:04 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm not a member of the WebCom but I hope you don't mind
I'll share some ideas here.

I'd like to give my proposal of reorganization of project categories.
Currently, OSGeo project categories do not tell much about a type of
project, but about state (approved, in incubator, etc.).

IMHO, good example of categories is avaiable on the Tigris.org
http://www.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectList

Those categories are easy for users to navigate and find projects they
are interested in.

My proposal includes 2-3 or more branches of categories:

|- projects
   |- state
      |- in incubator
      |- approved
   |- software
      |- libraries
      |- frameworks
      |- web mapping
      |- desktop
      |- spatial databases
      |- utils
      |- ???

|- foundation
   |- committees
   |- local chapters
      |- countries
      |- ???

|- infrastructure
   |- mail
   |- website
   |- ???

Also, it could be nice to be able to assign project to more than one
category. For example, library XYZ could be assigned to
- projects - software - libraries
and
- projects - state - in incubator

IMHO, the 'projects' branch is most important for common users and
developers, so they will be able to find a project walking down the
categories tree.

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot