[Web Comm] email addresses, mailto links, spam, etc.

Dave Patton dpatton at confluence.org
Tue Jul 25 17:51:33 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Dave Patton wrote:
>> It seems to me that using 'plain text' and/or mailto
>> links for any email address is just an invitation to
>> the spammers.
>
> I think we should just try and apply some common sense when it comes
> to listing email addresses in the clear.  Some, like info @ osgeo.org
> pretty much need to be in the clear for easy use.  Most mailing lists
> will already reject email from unsubscribed senders.  But for "open"
> email addresses like info, news_item and peoples address we should be
> careful.

On the DCP website we allow Members to have their
email address displayed, but a PHP script displays
the address as a PNG image:
http://www.confluence.org/visitor.php?id=819

If the CN platform allows it, doing something similar
for "open" OSGeo email addresses might help(at the
expense of not allowing people to cut&paste the
email address from their browser into an email).

--
Dave Patton

Co-Lead Developer, Punt
http://punt.sourceforge.net/