[Web Comm] Removing members from committees

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 28 12:05:15 EDT 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> Absolutely.
>
> Daniel was a special case; I was not aware that his account was
> disabled, and was worried that he may still have admin rights.

Jason,

Well, I'm not sure Daniel is a special case.  Membership in OSGeo
committees and the organization as a whole are as individuals, not as
employees of a corporation.  So while it is perfectly fine for committees
to remove him has a member since he has indicated he won't be able to be
active in OSGeo for some time, it should not be considered automatic.

I don't mean to cause a fuss, and am not suggesting changing or undoing
anything already done.  I just want to stress no one gets a "free pass"
onto committees nor can anyone be excluded based on employment history.

> The state of WebCom membership is not healthy anyway; I don't think that
> I could meet quorum.

The good news is that we don't have quorum rules!  The committee guidelines
give the chair broad flexibility to call a meeting and consider it valid
as long as enough members in the chair's opinion appear.  Of course,
appropriate notice should be given for the meeting, and it is also a Chair's
responsibility to ensure the will of the committee as a whole isn't being
subverted.  But in a situation like this the chair can re-establish the
committee as needed.

 >   I believe that one of the items for Monday's
> meeting should be that members who have not confirmed their membership
> by email or attendance at the meeting will be dropped, so at least we
> know where we're starting from.  At the same time we'll be adding Arnulf
> and anyone else that is interested.

That sounds excellent.  I will certainly try and attend and am interested
in being a regular member.