Roles in CollabNet?

Auke Jilderda auke at collab.net
Fri Jun 30 07:58:22 EDT 2006

Markus,

I am somewhat new to OSGeo.org and in the process of getting up to speed
so don't know the historic context of the current situation but I can
tell you how it works.

The CollabNet infrastructure comes with a role based access model in
which a user account has access rights and permissions to resource via
having roles in projects.  Each role defines a (hopefully coherent) set
of access rights and permissions.  The standard, out-of-the-box set of
roles are described at [1].  In addition, the infrastructure lets
administrators define new and change existing roles.

There currently are three roles defined that a user can request in your
project:
- Observer: Read-only access to project code; can also submit issues;
  'observer' of project.
- Contributor: Developer/User that contributes code via Project Tracker.
- User: User or application developer that makes use of the software in
  the project.
Question is exactly how these roles are intended.  The current
implementations of these roles make no sense to me so I will figure out
who came up with this and sanitise the set up.  We need at the least a
project owner (full r/w access + ability to configure a project),
developer (full r/w access), and observer (mostly read-only access).

That said, I suggest you grant this person the Co-Project Owner role if
you want him to have write access and Observer if you want him to have
read-only access.  I will keep you posted on the progress on this.

Auke

PS: I am in the process of setting up a support project to organise and
    streamline site support.  That's why I already cc the help list that
    is not yet accessible.  It soon will be.

 1. https://www.osgeo.org/scdocs/ProjectRoles