[Web Comm] greetings (and other stuff)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Mar 6 11:14:33 EST 2006

Re Claude: Absolutely.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tyler Mitchell [mailto:tylermitchell at shaw.ca]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 06:46
To: dev at webcommittee.osgeo.org
Cc: Jason Birch
Subject: Re: [Web Comm] greetings (and other stuff)

On Monday 06 March 2006 00:11, Jason Birch wrote:
> Jody, I saw your IRC comment; I'm a bit lost too ;)  I keep sending
> emails and doing stuff without feedback.  I'm just waiting for a brick

> to land on my head.  If that happens, I'm going to blame Frank for his

> infectious impatience :)

Hi Jason,
I'm happy with the changes you've been proposing/implementing.  It's the
kind of tender loving care the site needs, so keep it up.

> Working within the CN framework takes a bit of getting used to.  It
> picks up html pages and parses them into the centre of the layout.  I
> need to set up something locally so that I have a better idea of what
> it's going to look like before I commit.

I'm still not up to speed on how things are laid out, and I've barely
ever used SVN, but your diagrams are helping.

> Something I have been thinking about is how the site should be
focussed.
> The About the Foundation page is pretty structured and boring.  This
> is OK (it's a foundation) but I think that we need to look at what the

> purpose of the site is.  Apart from being a portal to the projects, we

> also need to get our visitors excited about open source geospatial
> tools.  Some things that I think could help with this would be some
> nice colourful screenshots, "success stories", blurbs on each of the
> associated projects, maybe some "up close and personal with" type bio
info on the board members...

I envision tackling this through a newsletter that highlights the same
things.
We could then take parts of the newsletter and use them as interesting
content in the portal.  Great ideas.

> I was thinking that we would wait for the logo contest before moving
> ahead with design though, so we could build the site identity around
the logo.
> We will need to activate a discuss list for this, and put together
> some web space where we can mock up various layouts.

I agree with waiting until we at least start getting some graphic brand
connection developed through a logo.  But certainly we can do with some
more attention to styling.  I'm sure Fred is just itching to do more ;)

> I know that this is a new group, and if anyone has taken offence I
> apologize for charging ahead.  I can feel the pressure building behind

> us though.  We are responsible for what is currently the most visible
> part of the foundation, and lots of stuff needs to be communicated.

The most important thing is that you have had the time to do some
important improvements - thank you.  I regret not having the time I need
to really contribute so far in the group.

Speaking of contributing, I see Claude is requesting to join the
committee.
Did everyone else see the 'New role request' from him to be a Project
Contributor?  I am in favour of adding him - another body with some time
available to assist would be valuable.