[Web Comm] Re: Logo Contest

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 7 15:29:09 EST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> Hi Board,
>
> Could you please give the following your attention?
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Logo_Contest <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Logo_Contest>
>
> If we could get an approval, further modifications, etc, I'd like to post by Wed PM so that we get at least a couple weeks for submissions.

Jason / WebCom,

My personal opinions:

  o you should indicate some specific raster sizes to be provided.

  o voting should be all members of the foundation (voting and non-voting)
    possibly based on having an osgeo.org account.  Can we do a poll on the
    osgeo.org machinery?  In particular, I don't want to exclude folks who
    aren't voting members since this contest is not a "core organizational
    integrity" thing like selecting new members or the board.

  o I think submissions should be vetted by WebCom and the board to
    narrow down a short list before voting takes place.  Logos that are
    considered unattractive or inappropriate by WebCom or the board should
    be eliminated before voting starts, not after they have been selected.

  o I think you can propose something like $50 of swag for the winner with
    the understanding that it might not be available to present till somewhat
    later when we have "swag production" in operation.  In the meantime I
    would encourage you to investigate cafepress.  I'm sure Fred can forward
    you to whoever handled that for maptools.org.

I would like to see the logo contest proposal forwarded to the board for
final approval before it is distributed.  That should be after WebCom has
approved a plan.