[Web Comm] Artifact Tracker

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Mar 11 17:07:02 EST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> Frank, I agree that the Project Tracker is not all that user-friendly right
> now.  We have an action item from the last meeting for Daniel to simplify
> it as much as possible (I got horribly lost in the extensive setup
> screens).
>
> The problem is that the rest of us are still in a pretty steep learning
> curve with CN, but unless we have a task tracking system in place we're
> going to get quickly overwhelmed.  Trying to manage requests coming in via
> email, wiki, and multiple other paths is just not going to work.

Jason,

I agree that using the artifact tracker is going to be important to managing
your workload.  I'm just encouraging you (all) to do what you can to
make it easier.

> Couple items: - Did the board get my message about the mission statement?

I didn't see this message.  The board at board.osgeo.org list only allows
posts from members of the list as far as I know.  So, the message may be
waiting in moderator-approve limbo currently.

> I was going to post it last night, but there was an IE where there should
> have been an E.G. or we would have been committing to only supporting
> EOGeo.

Please adjust as appropriate.  To be honest I wrote the document, and I
don't know the difference between "i.e." and "eg.".  This used to really
annoy my wife when she was a tech writer responsible for cleaning up
my documentation!

> - The defect search didn't work because it was a task.  We still
> need to define another default query for tasks.  I defined the second query
> because I ran into the same problem, but I figured that by 3am it was about
> time to call it a night :)

I was developing a vague suspicion that this might be the case.
It might be better to limit the canned queries to very obvious ones.
One to report all open issues of any kind and one to report all
unassigned issues for instance.  The distinction between tasks and
defects is going to be lost on folks who come in casually to report
a problem, or request a change.