[Web Comm] Website discussion (split between marketting / community / development )

Auke Jilderda auke at collab.net
Wed Oct 18 07:33:58 EDT 2006

On 18 October 2006 03:31, Jody Garnett wrote:

> No worries on that front - my discontent is my lack of involvement
> with this committee  :-) Your product is safe from my complaints....
>
> We have a slightly different breakdown represented by the stories
> collected on our wiki. Although it strikes me we need at least one
> story built around a member of the OSGeo foundation trying to
> participate in foundation activities.

Where can I find those stories?  Been searching the wiki a bit but can't
seem to find them. :-(

> An early example of this was the split between the OGC website and
> portal. I am/was trying to capture this with user stories.
>
> It does, in terms of "blending everything" do not worry - we already
> know that this cannot be achieved. We have a couple up front
> constraints that preventing this:
> - content hosted by individual projects require a "bridge" to so they
>   can participate in the overall OSGeo web experience
> - supporting day-2-day foundation activities

Actually, I think the differences between marketing, community, and
development give different requirements to those sites.  For instance,
it is quite predictable that most of the constant load will be on the
development site, the marketing site will get occassional high peeks
upon releases and long periods inbetween, and the community site needs
to excel at having lively content.  The three are fundamentally
different beasts, I think.  Consequently, the marketing site needs sexy
looks and occassionally high download capability, the community site
needs to be very easy for users to contribute content to, and the
development site needs to be very solid and reliable.

> We should canvas the projects to see what they want to take on
> responsibility for, or what they are expecting from the web committee.
>
> Cheers,
> Jody

Auke