[Webcom] Web site map ideas

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 8 12:00:42 EST 2007

At WebCom meeting today we discussed coming up with a simple protocol
for URL aliases in the CMS, with the hope of moving all new content
into that structure.

This is basically just giving the hierarchy of the aliases to be
used, similar to deciding on what folders to use with normal html
documents.  I think much of this is probably quite obvious to
everyone but it doesn't hurt to put it in writing so we have
something to aim for.  Also the general intent is to keep the
structure as flat as possible but with meaningful/logical depth where
useful.

Here are some groups that I present for debate:

1. General foundation links go in root
e.g. http://osgeo.org/faq   /about  /mailinglists   /events   /
spotlights

2. Local chapter pages, when/if created go in /local
e.g. http://osgeo.org/local/japan   /local/india

3. Committees that have pages either end up as general foundation
links in root or under their own area:
e.g. http://osgeo.org/geodata   /education   /incubator   /fundraising

4. Types of content that goes across committees organised logically
into some general groupings:
e.g. http://osgeo.org/sponsorship  /events   /news

5. In general, whenever there is a 2nd level being used, the first
level should also have an index page
e.g. if using http://osgeo.org/local/japan there should be a good
page at http://osgeo.org/local
likewise, http://osgeo.org/sponsorship/opportunities should also have
a good page at http://osgeo.org/sponsorship

5. Files are currently in a couple different spots and should likely
be cleaned up, reorganised or managed using some file management
module.  There isn't that much you can currently do through the
interface, you really need shell access to manage files folders and
locations of uploads at this point.

Hope that summarises our discussion a bit - let me know if I missed
something or if there are more ideas/comments.