[WebCom] Next steps with web site

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 1 14:28:42 EST 2007

I'd like to (re)start the discussion around management oversight for
the new web site.  We took a lot of liberties to "just get it done"
and to meet the Dec 31 deadline.  There are virtually 2-3 user
accounts and I deliberately keep them to a minimum.  I also disabled
the creation of new accounts until we get to the point where we know
why we'd want them, who should have and to avoid any holes left by
authenticated permissions.

Can we please discuss the needed various types of access control
needed.  I've attached a rough PDF showing the various 'roles' and
permissions currently set on osgeo.org.  The two defaults are
"anonymous", "authenticated" and I added one called "Project
Manager" (gupt is for gupteshwar's testing).

As you can see, these are site-wide configurations - so to allow
access control on certain portions of the site (e.g. a single page or
set of pages) is currently not possible.

I know Swapnil and others have some ideas for how to do this, but my
question is whether we can just have a couple roles and now worry
about detailed level access at this point or not.  I can see in the
medium term needing finer grained access, but for now I think it is
good enough to get us set so WebCom and a few project managers (i.e.
geodata, mapbender, etc.) can have a clear role.

Sorry for the rambling, trying to head out and get some things done
today...