[WebCom] News Items on new Drupal Site

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 3 00:56:06 EST 2007

On 2-Jan-07, at 1:16 PM, Jo Walsh wrote:

>> suggestions on how we ought to handle news items on the new platform.
>> I imagine there is some standard approach well suited to news
>> flashes?
>
> Hm. What i would do, having had a look, is limit the front page to one
> 'spotlight' and put, say 3 links for 'latest news' underneath the
> introduction paragraph on the front page. Putting the most fastmoving
> content on the front page means we get indexed more regularly and
> probably get a bit more index priority.

I agree on this - reduce spotlights and stick 3 latest news links
(date + title) below the welcome message.

This will take a bit (not much) work as the first page isn't really
using blocks in its central content - as the import threw all content
into a single page.  I can look at this tomorrow or Thursday  -
perhaps Kanhaiya and Swapnil coudl help in the meantime.

The simple "story" content type is designed for things like news
items - but we need a way to designate content as 'news' and have it
tagged with a date that is different than publication date.  Nothing
more than that really, right?  That is why we had our 'news' content
type in http://community.osgeo.org.  (I'm still using this site for
test/dev stuff, btw).

The spotlights themselves could be ported into a similar content type
so they are more manageable to update, list, have teasers, etc.
Almost everything you see on the sites are from raw HTML imports, so
there are lots of areas we can now start to pick away on improving,
categorising, grouping, automating, taxonomating ;), etc.

I'll be somewhat disconnected for another couple days, but trying to
get some time online in the evenings.