[Webcom] osgeo.org ready for multilingual translations

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 30 00:54:33 EST 2007

Hi all,
I have set up the translation tools on the osgeo.org web site and
done a fair bit of testing.  I think it is ready to be used now.  I
set up a few languages, but I assume there are more we could add if
volunteers are available to help.  So far I set up support for:
Chinese-simplified, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Polish.

I have set up the website to auto-detect your browser locale -
however this is not always preferred, so there is also a menu to
choose the preferred language.  It can also be saved in your user
profile.  The menu for different translations does not appear until
your are logged in.  All tools are hidden unless logged in, simply so
users don't go thinking there is translated content available when
there isn't yet.

If you are interested, or have a few minutes, here are the basic
instructions for doing the translation of a page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Drupal_Portal_Translations

I can give you an account if you don't already have it - or if you
know of a translator who needs in.  There is a 'translator' role I
set up in Drupal.

Just translating the front osgeo.org page or first paragraph would be
a tremendous help.  We can also custom translate our menus, but that
is not available until I change our navigation menus from raw html
into true drupal menu objects (testing underway).

Any suggestions for other languages to support or other people to
contact?

Sincerely,